The Merge will mark Ethereum’s transition to a proof-of-stake consensus algorithm and is arguably the most significant event in the cryptocurrency industry for 2022.
As previously reported, the date for it was set for September 19th, but it appears that it might come sooner than expected.
- During a call, core developers such as Terence Tsao – co-founder of Prysmatic Labs, and Tim Beiko, agreed that The Merge can take place when the Total Terminal Difficulty (TTD) hits 58750000000000000000000.
- This might happen as soon as September 15th.
- Tweeting on the matter was Terence Tsao, who said:
Tentative Miannet TTD -> 58750000000000000000000
Note: nothing is final until it’s in client release, so do expect changes last minute due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Meanwhile, yesterday – on August 11th, at around 1:45 UTC time, Goerli – the last of the three public testnets transitioned to proof-of-stake successfully.
- This takes the project a step closer to the long-anticipated mainnet upgrade, which might happen a bit earlier than expected.